In the past year, all businesses have turned to social media to increase their marketing reach, but with numerous platforms including Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, Tik Tok, Clubhouse and YouTube it can be difficult to know which platform you should target for your specific industry.
Some may advise going on all the platforms to widen your reach, but this is unlikely to work for a few reasons:
- The demographic of each platform is different.
- The favoured content is different across the platforms.
- It would be very time consuming to prepare appropriate content for all platforms.
Do your research
In previous posts we discussed the importance of targeting the right market and tailoring your message to this market. This, however, will also be useful in identifying which social media platform is right for your business. For example:
- LinkedIn is a business platform used by more than 40 million people per week for job hunting. 59.9% of LinkedIn users are aged 25 to 34 years old and therefore, if you are recruiting for a position within your business this could be the most appropriate platform for you.
- On Pinterest as many as 60% of users are female and many use the site for inspiration and for choosing purchases so if your business has an ‘attractive’ product leaning towards female clients, this could be the platform to reach your target audience.
- Facebook has more users in India than anywhere else in the world with 310 million users, compared to 38 million from the UK. The age range on Facebook is split with 21% aged 45+ and 32.4% aged between 25 to 34 years old. Facebook ads increased by 22% in 2020.
Although these are just snippets of the information that is available about users of social media platforms, it demonstrates how it is possible to match your ideal client avatar with the demographic of a particular social media platform. This allows you to identify where your ideal clients ‘hang out’ making marketing to them far easier.
However, with many businesses within the science, technology and engineering sector targeting diverse client groups, it could mean different campaigns are carried out on different platforms in order to be successful. So, understanding your potential ideal clients and social media demographics can make choosing the platform easier.
If it’s time for your business to delve into the world of social media marketing give Priddey Marketing a call on +44 1235 606 077 and we will help you identify the right platform for your business, your campaign and your services.